Your home is more than just the roof over your head. It is likely one of your most significant investments. But, without proper protection, it could all go up in smoke. According to the National Fire Protection Association, there was an average of 346,800 home fires every year from 2015 to 2019. Read on to learn how your homeowners insurance policy can protect you from out-of-pocket expenses if your home or its contents are damaged or destroyed by fire.
We’re here to help you find the right homeowners insurance coverage. Contact McCune & Reed Insurance in Ottumwa, Iowa, to learn more about our coverage solutions.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Homeowners insurance policies may vary, but they will generally include the following benefits:
- Dwelling coverage can pay to repair or replace structural damage incurred from a covered peril.
- Personal liability coverage may pay for costs (e.g., medical expenses, legal bills) arising from claims that you caused bodily injury or property damage to a third party.
- Personal property coverage can pay for repairs or replacements for personal possessions that are damaged or destroyed.
- Additional living expenses may pay for costs associated with temporarily leaving your home if property damage forces you to move out.
Does Homeowners Insurance Protect Against Fire?
Most homeowners insurance policies cover property damage from unintentional fires. It may pay for repairs or replacements to numerous aspects of your property, including the following:
- The structure of your home
- Attached structures (e.g., attached garage)
- Detached structures (e.g., fences, gazebo)
- Personal possessions
Fires resulting from acts of war are generally not covered in a homeowners insurance policy. Additionally, your location may factor into your ability to receive insurance payouts for property damage caused by wildfires. Read your insurance policy carefully to ensure you fully understand what losses are covered.
Speak to your insurance agent today or contact us at McCune & Reed Insurance to learn more about our homeowners insurance coverage.
How Much Coverage Do I Need for Fires?
When deciding how much homeowners insurance coverage to purchase, consider the total cost to replace your possessions and rebuild your house completely. Consider the current cost to rebuild your home (e.g., construction costs) as it may be more than the amount you paid to purchase your house.
Finding the Right Coverage
We’re here to help you find the right homeowners coverage for your insurance needs. Contact McCune & Reed Insurance to learn more about our home insurance options and to speak to a home insurance agent today.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.